The oft-overlooked, but so-essential guitar gear: the guitar stool.
Or maybe you call it a “guitar throne” if: a) you happen to feel awesome today, or b) you’ve been hanging out with drummers lately (they insist on calling their stool a “throne”).
So Why Get a Special Guitar Stool?
Having a well-suited guitar stool helps you as a guitarist in a number of ways:
- It makes it easier to hold the guitar in a playable position.
- It’s more comfortable to play for longer periods.
- You’re able to interact with a recording studio desk or other gear.
- It physically lifts your body, freeing your diaphragm for better singing technique while you play.
Just Two Requirements
The main two things you want to avoid in a guitar stool are:
- Arms. Obviously, chair arms get in the way.
- Too low. Anything that decreases your knee angle below 90deg (your butt is below your knees) is going to make it difficult to play well, especially with an acoustic guitar.
Other than that, it’s really about preference and knowing the environment you’ll be playing in.
So here are the top 7 best guitar stools (or at least stool “types”, since there’s any number of Task Chairs out there like the Amazon selection below).
1. AmazonBasics Low-Back Task Chair
- Comfortable task chair upholstered in black fabric
- Padded seat and back for all-day comfort and support
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; 360-degree swivel; smooth-rolling casters
- 250-pound maximum weight capacity; assembly instructions included
- Measures 25.2 by 18.7 by 34.6 to 37.8 inches (LxWxH); 1-year limited warranty
The basic office chair. Comfortable, inexpensive. Well-suited to situations where you’re recording and switching between playing guitar, the computer, keyboard, etc.
2. Torin TRP6185 Swivel Seat Shop/Bar Stool, Black
The Torin Big Red Swivel Stool features include a padded black vinyl swivel seat, a polished chrome plated heavy duty tubular steel base and a comfortable footrest.
- Black vinyl swivel seat, swivels 360 degrees for easy and efficient movement
- Chrome plated heavy duty steel frame
- Large 14 1/2 inch diameter cushioned seat is made of high density foam padding
- All four legs come with anti-slip protective caps
- Easy to assemble
The classic bar stool with cushion top. Always in style, always comfortable.
3. Gator Frameworks Combination Guitar Performance Seat and Single Guitar Stand (GFW-GTR-SEAT)
The Gator Frameworks GFW-GTR-SEAT combination guitar seat and single guitar stand provides a place to sit comfortably for you and your guitar. This heavy-duty combination boasts a 300-pound weight capacity and is a perfect height for any musician. The seat furnishes soft support with a durable, thick padded cushion and removable ergonomic backrest. A built-in safety pin ensures stability while the rubber no-slip feet keep you grounded. When actively playing, and using the seat the guitar stand on the bottom front legs neatly folds up and secures out of the way of your toe-tapping feet.
When it’s time to take a break, fold out the guitar stand and slip your guitar on to the finish friendly, rubberized arms and rest the neck against the soft micro-suede patch on the cushion. Removable, red safety rings are provided on the feet to reduce the Risk of tripping in dark venues or on shadowy stages. The collapsible, compact design makes it easy to pack up and store. For tighter storage areas simply remove the backrest to break down the seat even further. When traveling local or abroad consolidating equipment is always a challenge and the Gator Frameworks combination guitar seat and single guitar stand offers a winning combination.
- Guitar performance seat with built-in Guitar stand. Holds Acoustic, Electric and Bass Guitars
- Collapsible design with quick release pin for compact storage
- Durable, padded seat cushion with removable ergonomic backrest
- 300lb weight capacity
- Some assembly required, Hardware included
Nice combination stand and seat, ideal for farmer’s markets, etc.
4. Taylor 24″ Logo Barstool – Brown
The Taylor Barstool is a 24″ stool sports a padded swivel seat with a Taylor Guitars logo. The foot ring lets you get your leg into the perfect playing position. Spruce up your studio and add some cool and useable furniture with the Taylor Barstool.
- Barstool 24 inch
- The Taylor Barstool fully supports you and your music
- The classic design features a comfy, padded swivel seat in a black matte, vinyl finish with a gray Taylor logo
- A foot ring adds to your playing comfort
- 24 inch
When you want your acoustic guitar man cave to FEEL like an acoustic guitar man cave, this is the one.
5. Kitchen Counter Stool, 25″ counter stool, kitchen island stool, tiger maple, garny:
This is a 25″ high stool, designed for kitchen counters, kitchen island, playing an instrument or use it on stage. Hand carved from solid tiger maple wood following the anatomical curves of the human body. No pressure points, the whole surface of the stool will support the upper body.
- Legs are supported with traditional mortis and tenon joints with walnut wedge.
- The seat is a solid tiger maple 2″ thick and dyed with vintage orange.
- Legs and stretchers are ash, painted with black milk paint. Footrest is also tiger maple.
- Finished, first with multiple coats of tung oil and then carnauba – bees wax blend, so surface scratches can be buffed off.
- Height: 25″
- Sitting surface: width 17″, front to back: 15″
A really beautiful, wooden, hand-made stool for those with money to burn.
6. Guitar Stool/ Guitar Stand by Todd Fillingham
A stool that holds your guitar when you are not playing it. Your guitar is always ready even if you only have a few minutes to sit, relax and play a few chords before getting on with your day. Hardwood surfaces (walnut and ash) are finished with a custom, hand rubbed finish that improves with age and use. The pads are natural felt and cork and will not damage your guitar’s finish. Stability is enhanced with a counter weight under the front of the seat. Works best as a stand for hollow body guitars.
- Handmade item
- Materials: wood, walnut, ash, felt, cork, yacht braid
A TRULY beautiful, wooden, hand-made stool and stand combination. For those with even more money to burn.
7. Curvy & Swervy in Cherry-n-Walnut Bar Stools:
These handsome and sturdy stools can be customized for you in any height, wood(s), or stain color. The curvy seats are comfortable and composed of walnut and the base is solid cherry. The standard height, ready-to-ship immediately is 31″ from floor to base of the seat but we can size them for you quickly! The stools include no-scuff feet for hard floors and they include heavy duty swivels for years and years of smooth operation. These stools include heavy duty swivels for years and years of twirling in your seat! The seats are a VERY comfortable 18″ wide.
- Handmade item
- Materials: Wood, Walnut, Cherry, Maple
A curvey chair for those who want that. Decent cost, decent quality.
Interested in more acoustic gear recommendations? Check out the Gear page or look at my own simple rig for acoustic guitar.
Do you have another guitar stool you love? Let us know in the comments below!
Guitar Stand by Todd Fillingham…$2700 on Etsy?….Uh….Think I will get a Les Paul instead.
The Quick Lok guitar stool is pretty cool! Although, I want that Taylor stool! It looks awesome!
You missed one! http://www.theguitarstool.com
Leave a Reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.